THE FORUMS

March 26th, 2017
What self defense system would you learn if you could chose only one?
Your rating: None
Bookmark and Share

Klaus

Trusted Member

Join Date: 07/30/2012 | Posts: 1068

What
__________________
RSD BOOKS - THE COMPLETE LIST When you start preparing for death you soon realize that you must look into your life  - now - and come to face the truth of your self. Death is like a mirror in which the true meaning of life is reflected. - Sogyal Rinpoche
Login or register to post.
#1

PerelAlon

Senior Member

Join Date: 07/16/2012 | Posts: 285

I'm guessing... MMA isn't allowed as a choice? *Grins* I'd go with Boxing prolly... Thing is Boxing is high-impact, and not so sustaibnable to old age... So maybe something more like hap-kido? Aikido? Or maybe Pentjak Silat or one of the Silats? mhmhm...
Login or register to post.
#2

Klaus

Trusted Member

Join Date: 07/30/2012 | Posts: 1068

When one learn MMA (I'm assuming you go to some class, pay the fees, get training) How do they train you? Do they teach you each of the following in complete/total form as if you're learning each one on its own fully?

-Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
-Amateur wrestling
-Catch wrestling
-Judo
-Karate
-Muay Thai
-Taekwondo


or, do they teach you the basics of each, or some/little of each then mixed together?


PerelAlon wrote:
I'm guessing... MMA isn't allowed as a choice? *Grins* I'd go with Boxing prolly... Thing is Boxing is high-impact, and not so sustaibnable to old age... So maybe something more like hap-kido? Aikido? Or maybe Pentjak Silat or one of the Silats? mhmhm...
__________________
RSD BOOKS - THE COMPLETE LIST When you start preparing for death you soon realize that you must look into your life  - now - and come to face the truth of your self. Death is like a mirror in which the true meaning of life is reflected. - Sogyal Rinpoche
Login or register to post.
#3

Klaus

Trusted Member

Join Date: 07/30/2012 | Posts: 1068

Fascinating. I just watched this video and find it quite fascinating indeed.

What are your thoughts on MMA, judo, BJJ?
rakoom2002 wrote:
 Jokes aside. I recommend Muay Thai.  Not showy, very practical and effective. Karate, Tae Kwon Do, etc are a joke. Ive taken for several years now and I havent needed to use it in a real street fight, its given me the ability to talk my way out of many situations.  Once you feel comfortable with the fact that you know how to handle yourself in a situation you dont really feel the need to prove it and its easier to resolve conflict via words.
__________________
RSD BOOKS - THE COMPLETE LIST When you start preparing for death you soon realize that you must look into your life  - now - and come to face the truth of your self. Death is like a mirror in which the true meaning of life is reflected. - Sogyal Rinpoche
Login or register to post.
#4
D-52

D-52

Senior Member

Join Date: 07/06/2012 | Posts: 123

Klaus wrote:
When one learn MMA (I'm assuming you go to some class, pay the fees, get training) How do they train you? Do they teach you each of the following in complete/total form as if you're learning each one on its own fully?

-Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
-Amateur wrestling
-Catch wrestling
-Judo
-Karate
-Muay Thai
-Taekwondo


or, do they teach you the basics of each, or some/little of each then mixed together?




PerelAlon wrote:
I'm guessing... MMA isn't allowed as a choice? *Grins* I'd go with Boxing prolly... Thing is Boxing is high-impact, and not so sustaibnable to old age... So maybe something more like hap-kido? Aikido? Or maybe Pentjak Silat or one of the Silats? mhmhm...

i train mma and we either train stand up, which is boxing combined with muay thai combined with takedowns or we train on the ground which is a combination between wrestling and bjj in gerneral.  there are also some judo moves in there or other fancy stuff i.e. some special takedowns but it's basically seperated into this two components.
__________________
Login or register to post.
#5

Klaus

Trusted Member

Join Date: 07/30/2012 | Posts: 1068

Sorry, standup? takedowns? ground game?

pardon the martial arts n00b
__________________
RSD BOOKS - THE COMPLETE LIST When you start preparing for death you soon realize that you must look into your life  - now - and come to face the truth of your self. Death is like a mirror in which the true meaning of life is reflected. - Sogyal Rinpoche
Login or register to post.
#6

Klaus

Trusted Member

Join Date: 07/30/2012 | Posts: 1068

What got me interested is this line from reading the Wikipedia entry on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

"Brazilian Jiu Jitsu promotes the concept that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend against a bigger, stronger assailant by using leverage and proper technique – most notably by applying joint-locks and chokeholds to defeat the other person."

And that's exactly where I'm coming from. The kind of martial art system I'm looking for is one that is best for my size (smaller frame) strength (weak) and age (30). I need something that's practical, something that I can use for years to come when I'm much older, and highly effective for defending myself against bigger, younger, stronger assailant.
__________________
RSD BOOKS - THE COMPLETE LIST When you start preparing for death you soon realize that you must look into your life  - now - and come to face the truth of your self. Death is like a mirror in which the true meaning of life is reflected. - Sogyal Rinpoche
Login or register to post.
#7

DangerousD

Junior Member

Join Date: 07/01/2012 | Posts: 6

Japanese jiu jitsu. You train ground fighting (where BJJ is derived from) throwing (where judo is derived from). You'll also get taught locks, breaks, strangles and strikes. It's really good to know you can break someone's arm/leg or whatever if it came to it and it's not just who can hit the hardest.
Login or register to post.
#8
Blue x Light

Blue x Light

Respected Member

Join Date: 04/16/2008 | Posts: 498

 -the wtf method.

It's a system derived from the origins of ninjitsu, the element of suprise and ancient shamansim ritual dancing. It's basically to confuse your enemy stuning him mentally to where he/she is frozen in wtfness. An example would be whipping your dick out in blazing speed and accuracy, slappin it between your thighs while holding a death stare, field tested. works.

Another example made popular in the movie macgruber

__________________
 
Login or register to post.
#9
Heisenburg

Heisenburg

Senior Member

Join Date: 04/08/2012 | Posts: 113

do Krav, you learn to hit people to end the fight immediately, you learn defense against groups of guys and weapons and pretty much any unfair situation you can think of. They teach that shit to soldiers and cops. If there is no Krav in your area do muay thai. If there is no muay thai or krav  in your area just carry a gun around with you
__________________
 
Login or register to post.
#10

Klaus

Trusted Member

Join Date: 07/30/2012 | Posts: 1068

Oh my god. LOL

I could imagine just crying like a / gay. LOL

Rise wrote:
 -the wtf method.

It's a system derived from the origins of ninjitsu, the element of suprise and ancient shamansim ritual dancing. It's basically to confuse your enemy stuning him mentally to where he/she is frozen in wtfness. An example would be whipping your dick out in blazing speed and accuracy, slappin it between your thighs while holding a death stare, field tested. works.

Another example made popular in the movie macgruber




__________________
RSD BOOKS - THE COMPLETE LIST When you start preparing for death you soon realize that you must look into your life  - now - and come to face the truth of your self. Death is like a mirror in which the true meaning of life is reflected. - Sogyal Rinpoche
Login or register to post.